By Estelle Sobel Erasmus
Welcome to a new day (if not an eternal winter) in 2014.
While we’ve been shivering here in the Northeast several exciting events have happened.
1) Feature Creature: I was the first featured blogger for the new SheSpeaks blogger profile. Check it out HERE. SheSpeaks is a wonderful organization that offers great blogger opportunities for worthy causes and worthier products. So join and sign up for their newsletter.
2) Looking Ahead-er: I have dithered with the idea of doing a blog redesign by changing my blog theme and header (which dates from Summer of 2011 when I first launched). After chatting with the amazing @Kathy Zucker a member of the New Jersey Digital Moms who blogs at Mom Condo Living; I went ahead and made the plunge, with Kathy’s help on my new header (I was going for magical and free-flowing and maybe a little Stevie Nicks-but without the drugs and bad fashion). I also changed my theme and colors (I was trying for elegant but with a little punch). Still working on a better navigation system and a super cool About Me box in the sidebar so feel free to send me ideas.
3) I’m a Sunshine Girl: Well, my dear friend Lois Alter Mark, the 2014 Blogger Idol, awarded me the Sunshine Award in her post on her blog Midlife at the Oasis, which has the kick-ass tagline, “where living an amazing life never gets old.” Find the post and learn about Lois here. My site was also mentioned on Helene Cohen Bludman’s wonderful post here on her site Books Is Wonderful (please read her book reviews and learn all about Helene) and Cathy Chester’s The Empowered Spirit here (Cathy writes about healthy living despite having a dis-ability; it’s really all in how you look at it). I love how she describes my blog: Musings on Motherhood and Midlife because being a midlife mom to a young child takes a lot of energy and wisdom.
You owe it to yourself to check out their blogs and the other bloggers they mention.
4) I’m part of the 1M club: Well not exactly, but my friend Jenny Isenman of the wonderful blog The Suburban Jungle hit 1M views (even more impressive when written like this–1,000,000). Her blog is so funny-snot shooting out of your nose funny–so you have to check it out. Jenny also wrote a post and included moi, so that’s cool. Find her post here.
5) I’m Speaking: If you haven’t yet met me in person and want to learn more about book publishing, then you have a chance to catch me at the Iretreat Conference this June at Hershey Park. You can also read about my publishing career on this page. Hurry, tickets to the conference are selling out. Check it out here.
6) Comedy is King. Like most writers, I worship at the shrine of Erma Bombeck. Love her style. Love how she was effectively the first mom blogger in a way, because she chronicled the daily goings on in her life and was syndicated for it (not to be confused with indicted for it). Erma’s site featured one of my most popular humor posts-10 Reasons Why I Think My Preschooler is in the CIA. Check it out here.
7) I Got the Golden Ticket: If you know me, you know that I am thrilled when my famous bloggy friends get accolades and invitations and honors.
Many of them are members of the highly select Disney Social Media Moms group, for which there is a yearly conference full of the magic, pixie dust and wonder that is Disney.
Well, this year, I got the invite to attend the conference in a few months at DisneyWorld in Anaheim, CA, and I am beyond thrilled and honored. Thank you Disney.
8. BlogHer Voice of the Year Voting: I have entered my post How Justice Was Served Thanks to My Father into the enormously popular VOTY blogger pool. I would love my dad’s good deed acknowledged. You can vote for my post here.
So let me know what you think of my design. I’m headed to the Toy Fair in the next few weeks and will have lots of fun items to share, much like I wrote in this post here. You can also follow me on Instagram, FB, Pinterest, Google+ and Twitter (I’m at 3677 followers now-so Woot).
Tell me how your 2014 is going so far?IMPORTANT! Facebook has decided to charge pages a fee to share posts, even with people who have Liked my page. I’ll have to pay Facebook before they’ll share it with the rest of my fans). Yeah, no. Thankfully, there’s a better way. If you’d like to get my posts (about once a week), you can subscribe via email. Yay! Simply type your email address in my subscribe box (above). XO